Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Saturday, August 12

Note to self...

You can't eat whatever you want just because you're training for a marathon. I keep telling myself that but man, I just crave food all the time.

You'll notice that I conveniently stopped tracking my meals after my afternoon snack yesterday... Let's just call yesterday my cheat day and leave it at that. We went to Kristina's team picnic where I indulged... too much. Then we came home and had a glass of wine before going out to an amazing dinner to thank Jason and I for helping install the hardwood floors.

It wasn't exactly pretty but it was my cheat day so I went with it. Had another glass of wine, appetizer, bread, butter with olives in it and an amazing fish main course. Then we came home and ate marionberry pie with vanilla ice cream. So the entire time I'm thinking, it's ok... it's my cheat day and I'll be back on track first thing in the morning because I'll be doing the LONG run. I guess if there was a BIG win for yesterday, it was that I didn't get drunk (though I really wanted to) and didn't go out with the boys. Instead, I stopped drinking after the two glasses of wine and drank water from there... and was in bed by 11 pm.

This morning I got up at 7 am and met the girls (and Gabriel of course on his bike) at 8 am. We ran from Bellevue all the way through Mercer Island, across the I-90, touched Seattle and came all the way back. Total distance, 14.6 miles (23.5 km). Wow... it only really sinks in when I convert to km. If someone had said to me this past January that I'd be running 23.5 km fairly comfortably, I would have laughed at them. It's really amazing how a group of amazing women can impact your life. When I wake up every morning, I debate sleeping in for another 3+ hours. Then I roll myself out of bed, and think about how lucky I am to be meeting the girls at the gym. The commitment I have seen from this group is something that I just haven't seen with any other group, ever. I thought the varsity soccer team was committed, and they were... but not 4 am, every single day, rain or shine committed. And they're rarely off... you can guarantee that on 99% of the workouts, they are 100% there. It's hard not to push yourself when you're in that company!

Anyways, I still don't have my heartrate monitor, but based on my average, that's about 1400 calories burned on today's run. And my body felt it... I have wanted to eat all day.

So far, I haven't done anything completely devastating but I have been snacking every 2-3 hours or so. The roommates are making a big dinner and the neighbours are coming over. I'll probably have a glass of wine (or two), some crispy flatbread with cheese before dinner. For dinner we're having brown rice with pesto, garlic and parmesan. A big salad, and a massive sirloin steak that has been wrapped around gorgonzola cheese. :S Plan of attack, portion control. Probably a 2-bite brownie for desert. I am going to try to carbo load again today because we're going on a 45 mile bike ride tomorrow morning.

I am really trying to get used to how to eat when I'm working out for such long periods of time. It's hard... you really feel like you could eat all the time. I think it's time to start taking this marathon training more seriously now that the training has gotten more intense. I'll start with the web, and probably pick up one of those marathon runners books cause it can't hurt.

So that is today's b"log". Very different from the regular report, but it's so hard to track calories on weekends...

Signing off for now, the neighbours are coming soon and I am still cleaning my room, seems endless. Got most of the cleaning done this afternoon after the run. Oh, talked to my brother today and he thinks he can convince me to spend Christmas in Poland this year. I'm like... really? After all of the weddings I have this year, I'd like take this opportunity to save SOME money. I really want to put a much bigger dent in the debt by the end of this year, so I will resist the temptation of being with the ENTIRE family for the first time ever in Poland for Christmas. If we hadn't gone there for the wedding in April I would consider it, but I am looking forward to the quiet Christmas at home in Canada, seeing family and friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home