Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Thursday, November 30

Day 2

Day two, my life seems so blah... shake after shake after shake! I woke up with a pretty big headache... sometimes that happens because I have really low blood pressure and I tend to get them when the weather changes. Today, maybe it was the sugar detox. When the morning coffee didn't take care of it, a couple of Ibuprofen did.

I really wanted to get to the gym after work today... but instead of leaving at 5 pm like I had planned, I didn't get out of the office until 7:15. I still had a couple of hours of work ahead of me so I decided to go home, eat dinner (surprise, a shake! and chicken sausages), and get back to work.

But then I got home... and sat down, and lost all motivation. This week has been really tough and all of a sudden I just decided that the work would be there tomorrow morning, and nobody would die if I didn't get anything else done tonight. Sometimes that just happens, eventually you just need a break. So I watched The Office instead... my favorite show! Grey's Anatomy is getting TiVo'd so I can pack for tomorrow and get some sleep.

I realize that the shake thing seems pretty crazy. Four shakes a day with some protein at lunch and dinner. Truth is, I actually feel fuller longer now. I got to 4 pm today, normally a time when I'm ravenous and I had to make myself mix up a shake. I'm also noticing that I'm not experiencing the highs and lows that I got after eating sugar. It's amazing how even diet pop has that effect on my body. One other thing I'm noticing... is that the shake and the protein seems like just the right amount of food. I can't overeat, and I'm not starving. Unfortunately, there is something really comforting about eating warm food... and feeling full. There's also something comforting about coming home after a crappy day and having a glass of wine... oh the good old days.

To answer Jodi's question... I think I'm going to keep up the shake thing for 2 weeks and then start to reintroduce MODERATION, well balanced meals into my diet. Whole foods, staying away from the high sugar deserts that could set me off. These are the days I'm happy to be a whole wheat/whole grain lover.

To answer Michelle's question, the shakes are high protein shakes/powder that our gym sells. They have about 130 calories, and are (I believe), meant to help wean us off sugar. So far, so good. Side note, Michelle has run 3 marathons since October and has 5 on the loop through June! I'm in awe!!!

I want to report something exciting... I started the detox yesterday, and this morning I was down 4.4 lbs! Ok, I know... I'm such a cheater. I am obviously still losing retained water from the marathon, and (TMI) yesterday "Aunt Flo" came into town. But I'll take it... I'm feeling better already. :)

So Wes wanted to see pictures... and they aren't available yet. But, and I can't believe I'm sharing these, we have video! I'm on the left... Jess is on the right. I thought I was safe, but camera #2 caught the breakdown after the race. Now you can see what I'm like during Oprah and Grey's Anatomy. I shed a tear at the drop of a dime! Turn up your speakers!!!

Camera #1
Camera #2

Enjoy!

6 Comments:

  • At 11:03 PM, Blogger Wes said…

    Holy crap, Aleks. I wish I could run that fast at the end of my 5K, LOL. You gals are awesome. AWESOME! And truth is, I'm starving now. 130 calories? Blah!!!

     
  • At 5:34 AM, Blogger Jodi said…

    You guys were sprinting to the finish! Way to finish strong!

    Glad to hear that you aren't resigned to shakes for eternity. I hate the things. Soymilk is the closest thing to a shake I'll eat :)

    Glad to hear the detox is paying off!

    Jodi

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger Kate said…

    Those videos are so cool- you guys were so the crowd favourites!!

     
  • At 3:20 PM, Blogger Jessica said…

    Coupla things: On real 20/20, both caffeine and ibuprofen are prohibited.

    They say ibuprofen inhibits fat burning. Seriously, that's what they say. I'm just the messenger.

    I forgot why no caffeine, because obviously I disobey that rule...though I didn't when I was on the program

     
  • At 1:02 AM, Blogger Kate said…

    It is SO funny when blog worlds collide. I just found Sar's blog through you, and discovered that she reads the same NZ/Australian weight loss blogs as I do! Small virtual world...Hope you guys had fun at the Diva Dash!

     
  • At 9:56 PM, Blogger Darrell said…

    Those are great videos. You sure looked fresh at the end.

    Thanks for stopping by.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home