Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Monday, November 20

6 days and counting...

For the last few months I’ve been obsessing about the marathon.

What is my training plan?
What is my longest run?
What weeks should I back down the distance?
How do I taper?
What do I wear?
What do I eat?
What if it’s cold and raining on race day?
What is my goal? My stretch goal?
What if I disappoint my friends?

In general, I set very high expectations for myself. I ran my first half marathon in June in 1:57, 9 minute miles over 13.1 miles. I had a goal of 2 hours, and though it was nice to beat that goal, I missed the experience of the run. My only focus was the time, and I didn’t enjoy the full experience. When I signed up for the marathon a few months ago, I set a goal of 4:22, 10 minute miles over 26.2 miles. Seriously? Why? Will anyone think less of me if I run 5:30? Will my friends think I’m less of an athlete if I don’t break the 4:30 barrier?

About a month ago I decided that my goal for the race would be to truly experience my FIRST MARATHON. I know it will be tough, and that it will hurt. But I refuse to let the run go by without having fun. I’m going to appreciate each step I am able to take on the 26.2 mile trip and all of the spectators that will be there supporting their friends, and complete strangers. Rather than focusing on time, I am going to reflect on all of the individuals that have gotten me here. My running partners, my friends, family and of course, the online community. You have supported me through a hectic travel and work schedule, my long runs, some painful recoveries and even the personal dramas. Without all of you, I wouldn’t be here today.

Saturday night we drove the marathon route and had dinner downtown. Jess described the painfully long stretches, areas where there would be lots of spectator support and where you can enjoy a nice breather. The route really is beautiful, and I just can’t wait for the full run… not just the finish line.

I’m enjoying a nice taper period, really taking it easy going into this last week. I am looking forward to switching my focus to the weight room and cross training… just ONE LONG RUN TO GO, 6 days and counting…

5 Comments:

  • At 9:31 PM, Blogger qcmier said…

    Love your approach. I hope you can enjoy the day and have a great race.

     
  • At 11:37 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Good plan! Have a great race! Incidentally, what was your training plan?

     
  • At 5:59 AM, Blogger In the sky, above the clouds said…

    You are going to have the best time! You never know what may happen when you ENJOY yourself.
    Can't wait to hear how it goes!! Rain or Shine you'll do great!

     
  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger Wes said…

    No matter what the final outcome, you will be awesome. No need to give anyone credit but yourself. It is your spirit that drives you. We are just greasing the tracks...

     
  • At 2:30 PM, Blogger :) said…

    Good luck, have fun and have a great race!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home