Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Monday, November 27

The Day After

Yup, I woke up this morning with no intentions of running... for a while. Unlike my friends, I couldn't muster the strength to go to work today. In fact, I barely moved at all today... working from home and getting up just to eat and let the dog play in the snow. I pondered the following today:

1 - What is the perfect combination of Ibuprofen and wine that will take away this pain and still keep me conscious for my conference calls?

2 - How long can I delay a trip to the kitchen before I starve to death? How badly do I need to refuel after that marathon, is it worth moving from my current position? How much food can I carry back from a trip to the kitchen and how long will it last me before I have to move again?

3 - Was it worth the pain I felt in the race, and the pain I feel today? Heck YES!

4 - If delayed onset muscle soreness is supposed to be the worst 48-72 hours after an event, will I get out of bed at all tomorrow?

5 - I now have a baseball sized bruise below the big knot I had in my calf yesterday. It looks a little bit like the bruise I got one time after a soccer injury. The impact on my shin caused a bunch of swelling and the next day, all of the blood started draining down through my shin and ankle... sweet bruising. At that time, I was proud of the battle scars. Today, in combination with the bruising on my foot, I'm taking it as a sign to pay more attention to the pain early in a race.

6 - Yes, I have completed my first marathon... so why do I look chubbier in the post race photos than I have in the last 2 years? Swelling cannot account for all of that chubbiness!

7 - One more day of replenishing glycogen stores, and I will hit this crazy thing they call week 1 of the 20/20 diet. No matter what it takes, I will detox from this carb dependency that I have built up during marathon training.

One more thing... I am the WORST best friend in the world. I have been so completely engulfed in marathon training and the stress associated with marathon day, that I forgot my best friend's birthday last week! No joke... I can't believe I did that. I was talking to her today and when she mentioned something about presents I finally clued in. She EVEN sent me pictures of flowers her boyfriend had sent her last week! I didn't stop to think why she was getting flowers and a teddy bear. How awful am I? This leads me to #8.

8 - Back to priorities. I need to separate myself enough from training and work to remember my friends and family. Forgetting a best friend's birthday is unacceptable. How do you ever make up for forgetting your best friend's birthday?!?! :-(

Hope you all had wonderful post-Thanksgiving Mondays! I am so very proud of all of my friends that ran the 1/2 and full marathons this weekend!

4 Comments:

  • At 12:39 AM, Blogger Kate said…

    I'm sure your friend understands, but it's good that you'll have time for the priorities again. Balancing is tricky!

     
  • At 5:27 AM, Blogger Wes said…

    If this person is truly your best friend, then you don't have anything to worry about, fatso :-) Let's see them pictures!

     
  • At 7:29 AM, Blogger Jodi said…

    I had friends that gained as much as 15 pounds DURING Ironman Wisconsin, so don't fret. Your body can actually swell and take on quite a bit of water, especially during endurance races on cold days.

    What is the 20/20 thing all about? I have resigned myself to being a carbaholic during my training. Being vegan doesn't help either!

    I'm sure that your friend understands. When you can walk again, you should plan some good one-on-one time with her. Have a girl's night- rent some movies, eat popcorn and have some good girl-talk. Everything will be forgiven!

    And be careful with that bruise. Keep your legs elevated and try to flex your muscles a bit. Inactivity after an event like that can predispose you to blood clots.

    Hope you feel better soon!

    Jodi

     
  • At 6:00 PM, Blogger teacherwoman said…

    I hope you are proud of yourself as well. It is crazy how one can get so caught up in training .... it affects pretty much every aspect of one's life. Crazy. I hope you will be "feeling" better tomorrow!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home