Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Saturday, November 25

One more sleep... 26 reasons to run!

Wow, what an action packed pre-race weekend. It was filled with lots and lots of Thanksgiving and non-Thanksgiving food, pre-race events, some down time and quality time with close friends.

Friday Nancy, Wendy and I went to the race expo to pick up our race packets. I looked around at all of the people in the marathon line and couldn't help but feel like I just didn't fit in. I looked at these "real runners" with their "real runner bodies", in their "real runner" clothes and all I wanted to do was turn around and go home. But then I stopped and thought about all of the wonderful words of advice and inspiration and support that my friends, families and even strangers have been sending me over the last few days. If I'm not mistaken, I was the one that trained for months to prepare for this race! I was the one that ran a number of 16+ mile runs to get to this point! I was the one that killed more than one pair of running shoes along the way! I was the one that ran through lost toenails, blood blisters, achy muscles, cold, dark, and rain to make it here. I have earned my marathon bib!

I got my race packet, toured the expo which was great and headed home. The goody bag included one of those peel and stick bracelets in it that had the numbers 1-26 printed on it with space to write beside each number. The idea is to write something that inspires you or that makes you feel strong beside each number. This took mee back to the varsity soccer days where we would write a few words that inspired us on medical tape wrapped around our wrists. I couldn't resist... 26 reasons to run.

1 - Luigi - My ex boyfriend of six years, that I broke up with just a couple of months after moving here. I know it may seem strange to include him, but without him, I would never be here today.
2 - Seattle - The west coast. If I had never moved here, I would still be dreaming about running a half marathon, let alone be running a full marathon.
3 - Claudia - My best friend who lives in NY.
4 - Laura - A close friend of mine, and a single mom.
5 - The Roommates - A reason to come home after a long day, my family away from my family.
6 - Marek - My cousin, born on the same day as me. Closer than a brother.
7 - Weronika - My little cousin, who needs support more than anyone these days.
8 - Pawel - My brother who lives in England. The farthest from my family and friends, who I miss more than anyone.
9 - The Truemans- My cousin, her husband and their son.
10 - The Gaskells- My friends Ange, Kirk and their daughter. The type of friends and genuine people that I can say I'm blessed to know. Possibly the dressed athletes I know too! ;-)
11 - The Sinclairs - My boss and friend, his wife and their two children. Misplaced Canadians like myself, who always understand what it's like to live away from "home".
12 - Jen Kattula - A close friend of mine from MS, who reminds me that at the end of the day, there is more to life than work.
13 - Trevor - A great friend who reads me like a book. For all of the things I think I can't do, he knows that I can. A total hottie and classic drunk dialer! ;-)
The Princesses... who have stuck with me through the hardest of running and non-running times. Friends that have not judged me in my worst condition. Friends that I can call family. Each one with her own gifts and strengths and beauty.
14 - Nancy - At 50, running her first half marathon tomorrow! Really! And for those who don't know, the woman who got me running way back in February. Her warmth just told me that it was ok to approach her and ask her if I could join her run group. Without a second of hesitation, she said... the more the merrier. That is so Nancy.
15 - Wendy - Who ran NY 3 weeks ago, running the half tomorrow with bronchitis! And hosting the after party... as if she doesn't have enough to think about, Wendy asked me 3 times what she could get for me tomorrow. It's more than enough just to see her after the race tomorrow. :)
16 - Regan - Running her first half marathon tomorrow, having just moved, struggling with knee pain and now the flu. Her strength moves me.
17 - Tosha - A 4 time marathoner, close friend and completely unselfish individual. Tosha gives more to me in her friendship in one day than I can give back in my lifetime. She will be on the course to support us tomorrow... in the cold and the snow!
18 - Danielle - Who doesn't want to be Danielle? Her smile warms every room she walks into... and her voice makes you feel like you're just going to be ok. She was the last person to talk to me before my first triathlon, and I'll take those words with me to every event I do. Tomorrow included.
19 - The strangers and non-strangers that have followed my random posts, and have encouraged me to make it to tomorrow. It is amazing how much strength you can get from knowing that you're not alone in the race we call life.
20 -
Jodi - Who I consider to be one of the strongest women I know. MD and PhD student, home owner (at 28!!!), genuinely kind and caring individual, and future Iron Woman.
21 -
Wes and Dee Dee - Both incredible individuals, as a family they remind me that true love is still possible. Their 18 year partnership is to be admired and respected.
22 - My dad - The most important man in my life. All I can do when I think about my dad is smile.
23 - My mom - Seriously, who calls their mom EVERY DAY? I DO! Damn straight... besides the fact that I love my mom with all of my heart, she is like my morning coffee. I just can't live without talking to my mom in the morning. 5-10 minutes on my way to work is all it takes to shrink the 2500 mile distance between us to the mom next door. No matter how stressful things are at home, my mom puts the focus on me and making sure that I am alright. She is the classiest and most giving woman I know. I want to be just like mom. :)
24 -
Jess - You thought I forgot her in the Princess list didn't you? I can sum up Jess' friendship in one fact... she ran the NY marathon just 3 weeks ago, and she's running the marathon tomorrow to support me. I can almost certainly say, that if it weren't for Jess, I would not be running my first marathon tomorrow. Her friendship, guidance, support, and determination kept me going when I thought I couldn't go any more. This may sound weird, but I really want to make her proud tomorrow.
25 - Myself - For the woman I am and the woman I want to be, I am running this race for me. Once and for all, I am going to shut down that little voice that says... you can't do it. YES I CAN!
26 - Living Legacy Foundation - The Seattle marathon is run in support of this organization, that saves lives through organ and tissue donation. I'm blessed to be healthy enough to make it to mile 26.2. What's better is that I have numbers 1-25 above to thank for it.

Weather forecast is calling for cold, rain and possibly snow. Bring... it... on!

3 Comments:

  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger Jessica said…

    I am so proud of you, and so happy to be your friend. :-)

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Blogger Jodi said…

    I love your list- what a great idea!

    I credit my ex for my first half marathon. I just kept thinking that he would think that I couldn't do it. I ran my heart out!

    I thought I was the only girl in her late 20's that talks to her parents every day! Having a great relationship with your parents is so therapeutic. No one knows you like them.

    I can't WAIT to hear how you did. I love your self confidence! You rock!!!!

    Jodi

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Congrats on the first marathon! I hope you had an amazing time!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home