Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Monday, December 4

Weekend Recap... and Day 6

What a busy holiday weekend! Friday I stayed in and worked most of the night... and got some sleep before the Diva Dash! It was a great team of woman that came out and we had a very cold but fun time. We ran the race at a very comfortable pace... and I loved every minute of it! I was (and am still) recovering from the marathon... combined with the carb cutting I was in the perfect zone on Saturday. Two things everyone said before/right after the marathon:

1 - It will take 6 weeks to recover. You'll have weird aches and you'll be out of breath just climbing stairs. CHECK! Is this ever amazing... my boss and I were coming back up the stairs at work this week and he looked at me and said smiling "what's the matter with you, didn't you just run a marathon?"

2 - You have to get lots of sleep and take Airborne or Emergen-C after the marathon because you'll get sick. CHECK?!?!? Started to set in today around 11 am... I hope with sleep tonight I can kick it! I was going to run outside with Tosha tomorrow morning but I'm going to sleep instead, and hit the gym indoors in the afternoon tomorrow.

The diet is going very well. Six full days and I haven't cheated yet! My roommates and I went to this White Elephant Christmas/Engagement party on Saturday night that was actually a desert party. They had 5 different types of cheesecake, 3 other types of cake, 4 types of homemade cookies, chocolates, and a number of other bars and goodies that I didn't even look at! I ate right before going so that I would avoid the food and alcohol. I sipped water all night and did not touch a single desert! I know, moderation is key... but with sugar, I take one bite and it's over.

After 5 hours I gave in and ate the carrots, celery and tomatoes from the veggie tray. That I would consider a huge win for me because I'm such a sucker for desert... so even though I'm not on veggies yet, I didn't care one bit. I weighed myself the morning after the party, and it must have been the first time after a holiday party that I actually LOST weight! So far, so good! I'm feeling like I might get back to my old self again... and I can start back on a well balanced diet soon. Finally try out some of Jodi's vegan treats! :)

This morning I did spinning and weights with the girls. I don't have the energy back yet but I'm working on it... most of the soreness is gone, except for some aching in the back of my knee. Nothing to write home about, just this weak feeling I get after long runs. Because we run and cycle so much, weights are always centered around upper body and core. I think I'm going to become much more regimented in my weight training over the next couple of months and really work on my legs too to strengthen some of the support muscles, ligaments and tendons.

It was great to catch up on all of your blogs today, I swear I have withdrawal when I can keep up over the weekends. ;-)

3 Comments:

  • At 1:37 AM, Blogger Kate said…

    Wow- you are officially my diet inspiration! I can't imagine resisting ALL those treats!! I'd start and never stop :-)

     
  • At 5:11 AM, Blogger Jodi said…

    I know how you feel about the sweets. I was on a low carb diet for about a year. At a party once I ate a cookie and then proceeded to eat every sweet I could get my grubby little hands on! I'm still a sucker for M&M's. We just had a party and I made my roommate take away the M&M's up to his room so that I couldn't touch them afterwards!

    I am so amazed at the amount of exercise you are doing already! You are awesome.

    I better get some more recipes up on my site!

    Jodi

     
  • At 7:42 AM, Blogger Wes said…

    Alrighty then... I'm back on my healthy eating kick, day 2. I'm looking to you for guidance since you are obviously much better at this than I am. Now, I need to start working on Jodi to get some meat treats on that all plant web blog :-) I want to start working on my upper body too, now. It's feeling left out. I did get a lot of compliments when I went home though!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home