Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Sunday, August 27

And I still don't consider myself a runner...

These days, I consider anyone who regularly runs a few miles a week to be a runner. Anyone that runs over 10 km 2-3 times a week is definitely a runner.

So today my plan was to do a 14.1 mile run. This would have been the first time I ran for more than 75 minutes on my own, and I just wasn't sure if I could do it. I slept in today (9:45 am) and drank a small cup of coffee and had a bowl of cereal with a peach for breakfast. I was getting myself fueled for the long run ahead. While I was preparing my running belt and getting my Gu and jelly beans, all I could think about was that drivers would be staring at me thinking "who is she kidding"? She isn't a REAL runner! She can't run 14.1 miles on country roads and small highways like the real runners. She can't make it all that way. Who does she think she is wearing a running belt, running hat, listening to her iPod and carrying a cell phone in case of emergency. She is going to turn back and run her usual 6 miles that she can do on her own.

I did get lots of stares, but regardless of what they were thinking, I went out there, and I ran all that way. I felt good actually. For me, a big challenge is just trying to be Zen about it (that's Regan's word). I am always rushing here and there, multitasking and thinking about work. When I'm on a run, that translates into picking up my pace and my heartrate to get the run done. I am getting much better at just relaxing into the stride, but still have to consciously tell myself that I have allocated that time for ME, and that I don't have to be anywhere doing anything else during this allocated time period.

When I do this, surprise, I find out that I actually like to run! Did I just say that? I like to run? I do! Today was great... I felt amazing as soon as I started on my way. I was carrying two bottles on the belt with water, and two with Nuun. I also packed a Gu for the 60 minute mark, and the jelly beans for the 2 hour mark. This was going to be my first try at the beans during a long run so I wanted to leave it for the end in case they didn't agree with me.

So somewhere around the 55 minute mark when I look down to get my Gu I realize that I had dropped one Nuun bottle. WHAT IS IT WITH ME AND DROPPING NUUN? I did this on the bike at Danskin and paid for it on the run. I knew that I had drank some not too far back and decided to go recover it. Not too far back ended up being about 6 minutes back down the road, and then another 6 minutes to where I had been. Urgh... now what? I don't want to increase my distance too quickly on the long runs, and I had just added about 1.2 miles to this run. Add that to the 14.1 that was planned and I'd be running 15.3 today.

I decided to do it anyways. I had time and I knew that if I felt really crappy I could call my mom to pick me up. So I kept going. When I hit the one lane (each way) highway I new I was in a little bit of trouble. I hate running on gravel and this was the fresh stuff. Still soft with lots of stones (not yet packed solid). It wasn't safe enough to run on the road because the cars were coming fast and I didn't want to risk it. So I spent most of that stetch (about an hour) running on gravel. It hurt... my ankles started to get a little sore, as did the knees. The last mile up this road is a long steep climb and my heartrate maxed at 180. There was another big hill climb at the 13 mile mark and I almost wanted to stop but knew that it was just the hill talking and that I would regain a comfortable strike on the nice downhill home. And I did! Once I turned the corner, it was smooth sailing back to the house.

So it's hard to tell but based on the added time, I think the run was about 15.5 miles in total. The total time was 2 hours, 42 minutes and I burned about 1800 calories. I wanted to stay between 140 and 160 heartrate, but averaged 167. Two reasons I think. One is that I tend to get a little nervous with lots of passing cars so I'm more alert and the heart rate naturally speeds up. Secondly, IT'S HUMID on the East coast. I forgot just how humid it gets. Today was really overcast, with some wind and not really hot... but 15 minutes into the run I was dripping wet from the humidity. It makes such a huge difference to my breathing and ability to stay cool... it just makes you work harder. We really are blessed with our amazing workout conditions on the West coast.

So that's it, a really LONG blog just to say I stuck to plan and finished the long run! I have been hydrating like crazy since the run and eating lots of good home cookin'. I have to admit, my ankles, shins and knees are a little sore... but I think that is more of a sign that I need to replace my shoes. I have worn them out completely, and they no longer have the support of their early days. Luckily, a dear friend of mine in Toronto coaches running at the Running Room in Toronto and she has my favorite shoes sitting in her home (purchased at cost)! I will be getting together with her next week so I'll have some new shoes soon! Just one more long run in these old ones...

The recovery plan for tomorrow is a nice 60 minute SLOW swim at 7 am and then a core workout. Looking forward to getting some weight off these joints. Note to self though, book an osteopath appointment the minute I get home. I have been talking about this for SO long, I just have to clear my calendar and get in there for a visit. It really is magic.
Hope you all enjoyed your weekends! :)

2 Comments:

  • At 6:49 PM, Blogger Wes said…

    Aleks, Aleks, Aleks! Anyone who straps on their shoes and steps out the door is a runner! You, my friend, are an amazing runner! Dropping you bottle is just something we are going to have to work on :-) I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that doesn't like running on strange surfaces. Hope you had a great weekend too!

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Blogger Regan said…

    You know, girl, you run twice the distance I do and run 1-2mph faster and anyone who doesn't call me a runner can kiss my ass!

    You are SO a runner! I'm so proud of you! Way to Zen on the run! You'll have to let me know how to keep the pace up as that does seem to be my challenge. :)

    Hugs,

    Regan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home