Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Saturday, October 14

22 miles... who's idea was that?!?!?!?

T-6 weeks to the marathon! So far, I have had 3 runs in the 15-16 mile range including last week's 16 mile run with the girls. I had planned 18 miles today, ramping down to 12 next week and then doing 20 and 22 the following 2 weeks before tapering.

Not exactly how it worked out. :) Jess, Wendy and Danielle had planned to do 20 miles today as their last long run before NY. The plan was to run from Mercer Island to the Pro Club in Seattle and back. 10 miles each way. So I was a little concerned that it was a big jump to go from 16 to 20 miles, but decided to try it and if all else failed, I could walk in the last 2 miles.

Let's back up to yesterday. The cycling class that Danielle teaches on Friday mornings is a strength class. So lots and lots of climbing. I always tell myself that I will just spin my legs and take it easy because I don't want to really work my hamstrings and glutes before a long run. Never happens. Yesterday, just like every other Friday, I was motivated by the great music and all of the strong people in the room. Note to self, STOP PURPOSELY sitting next to Brian G... I like to sit next to him to push myself to try to keep up, but I always pay for it... who tries to keep up with that guy?

So today on the run, the first few miles were rough and I wondered if I was going to make the first 10 miles. I finally settled into the run and felt great the first half. Turns out it was more like 11 miles each way, but I felt great when we stopped in at the club to use the washrooms and fill up our water. At that point, I felt a little soreness in my right hamstring that I have had for weeks now, but overall felt like I could run the 11 miles back to the car. I did know that I would hit "that 18 mile wall" though, the wall that I hadn't yet experienced. The course had quite a few hills today, and yup... I hit it alright. Except I hit it at about mile 15... and just kept running into it. I even had to walk 2 of the hills on the run! My hamstrings and glutes just couldn't take it!

But I am lucky, I was running with 3 amazing women that were right there... encouraging me through my longest run yet. I just kept taking in the Gu at the designated times, and finally ended made it back to the cars. :) I have never been so happy to finish a run... a whole 22 miles! Ok, not so smart to go from 16 to 22 miles in one week, but I'm happy to have a hard run under my belt. I wanted to know what I was capable of doing when faced with the wall. Boy, I'm sore now... hamstrings, glutes and back! Can't wait to sit in some hot tubs tomorrow!

The treat at the end of the tunnel? Noah's whole wheat sesame seed bagel with peanut butter and banana! :)

I know, I know... LONG post but I have to send a shout out! My girl SMOE is running her first 10 km race tomorrow, DURING "OKTOBERFEST" IN WATERLOO, ONTARIO!!! Waterloo is in the top 5 Oktoberfest outside of Munich... it's party central all month! I am so proud of that girl! She is another weight watcher success story, I'm so proud of her. When I met her over 2 years ago she wouldn't even consider doing this... and here she is, running 10 km and planning on the Hamilton 30 km race in April. I know she's going to do it!

Here's the data for today:

Whole wheat bagel with light cream cheese and jam (350 cals)
4 Gu (400 cals)

22 mile run (2350 cals)

Whole wheat sesame bagel with peanut butter and banana (600 cals)
1 blueberry pancake with blueberries and light syrup (125 cals)

Total (1475 cals)

2 Comments:

  • At 9:00 PM, Blogger Wes said…

    Here I sit in all my humbleness... Unbelievable. You are such a great runner. And then you ate a horrible bagel after that :-) My heroess!!!

     
  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger In the sky, above the clouds said…

    Great Run!
    How wonderful it must of felt, after the fact...and after the body was back to normal! That is just really am amazing show of willpower and strength. You can do ANYTHING! keep it up!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home