Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Thursday, October 5

The things you'll give up: Part 1

Earlier this year I gave up drinking completely for a month and a half during Lent leading up to my brother's wedding. It was less of a commitment to Catholicism (I have never really stuck to giving something up for Lent), rather a commitment to looking better in my bridesmaid's dress. Done and done... it was tough for the first few days and there were difficult moments (eg. during my first trip to Paris when I didn't have a sip of wine), but overall not that hard.

After last week's wedding binge I decided to give up drinking until the marathon. Then we went to dinner last night with my team after a very inspiring 10 hour offsite and I needed a drink! I realize that sounds like I may need to attend an AA meeting, but seriously, sometimes you just want a glass of wine. They had a fantastic wine list and not one person in the group of 30 didn't have a drink. So I gave in. Two glasses of wine for 3.5 hour dinner.

The bad news is that they had a fixed menu and the choices weren't what you would call low calorie. So I stuck to portion control (even though I so could have downed all of the goodness they offered) and had half of a desert.

The question is... to drink or not to drink. I am going to be heading back to Paris again in a couple of weeks for work. Is it realistic for me, a wine lover, in a job where I am always traveling or eating out with our teams, to not drink at all? Why did I manage the 45 days through March? Was there more motivation back then?

Yes, there was. I really, really wanted to look good at my brother's wedding. :) And the truth is, drinking a glass of wine with dinner once or twice a week isn't going to hurt me in my marathon training. Getting absolutely hammered, eating junk and missing the next morning's workout will absolutely hurt my marathon training. But this is not the kind of drinking I'm talking about. So new resolution... drinking wine with dinner ON OCCASION is acceptable. Done.

So today. Jess, Tosha and I went out for a 6 mile run. Followed up by strength training. Total calories burned with the time between the run and the strength training was about 850 cals. So far, the eating has also been good today. Going to aim for the 1300 calorie mark today.

1/2 Pria bar (85 cals)
20/20 ProClub shake (290 cals)
Coffee with milk (30 cals)
20/20 Chicken sausage penne pasta (390 cals)
1/4 chicken without skin (190 cals)
Salad (40 cals)
Egg beater on toast (180 cals)
Apple (75 cals)

6 mile run + strength training (850 cals)

Total (1280 cals)

1 Comments:

  • At 5:52 PM, Blogger Wes said…

    Drinking is entirely a personal decision, but all things in moderation. It isn't necessarily bad for ya. Course, if it gives you the munchies, that's another story for another day. You get to go to Paris? Sweet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home