Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Tuesday, December 5

What a difference a good sleep makes!

I did the math, 10 glorious hours of sleep… I was out like a light last night! I would say I would average about 6-7 hours of sleep a night. So when I can sleep in, my body wakes me up early because that’s just what it’s used to. This morning, not the case! Normally I look at the alarm clock 2-3 times in a night, I don’t even remember turning over last night. No cold medicine before bed, I really just needed the sleep… obviously!

So today I feel great! Well, much better than yesterday! I’m still feeling cold-like symptoms, low energy, achiness, stuffiness, sneezing… but I’m not sleepy. Does that make sense to anyone? Not having a lot of energy, but not actually being sleepy? I may not be able to run a solid 10 miles right now, but at least I haven’t done a face plant on my keyboard this afternoon (yet)!

It was really a treat to sleep in and not run outside this morning. Some days you just need a warm bed and to work out indoors. I’m going to leave work after my meetings at 3 pm and hit the gym. That way I’m not fighting the after work crowds. I think I’ll aim for 60 minutes of cardio (elliptical, stair climber) at a lower heart rate and maybe some core strength training.

Diet update, still going strong! It’s so nice to feel the slow release energy, gradual and healthy hunger rather than the ups and downs of the high sugar diet. I feel like I’m running an experiment these days... part of me wants to eat a leftover cookie from the party on Saturday, not because I’m craving it, but just to see if I notice a big change in how I feel. But I know better, if I eat that cookie now, I’ll eat the bunch and polish of the ice cream in the freezer to boot! Not going there! This morning I was at 153.6 lbs… I can’t wait to dip into the 140s, haven’t seen those since March of this year!

3 Comments:

  • At 4:12 PM, Blogger Jodi said…

    Great job sticking to the plan! I totally know what you mean by the difference between sleepy and no energy. They both suck, but I HATE being sleepy. Especially in meetings. yuck.

    Jodi

     
  • At 8:02 PM, Blogger Wes said…

    I've noticed that I'm no longer sleepy in the afternoon, after lunch. I still like my two to three cups of coffee in the morning, but no sugar for me! OK. The 140s. You can do this! Work hard!!

     
  • At 12:00 AM, Blogger Kate said…

    I love the way our bodies can tell us to sleep when we need it. It makes such a difference.

    Sleepy in meetings is bad, but the WORST is sleepy in Court! After lunch the most boring stuff always seems to happen (and my job doesn't involve doing much- just paying attention.. or trying to)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home