Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Monday, August 28

Carrot cake... good for you right?!?!?

After all, it's got lots of that good orange stuff and a little bit of calcium in that cream cheese icing? Let's face it, I am well aware of the danger in the oil and sugar filled treat but boy, I LOVE IT!

Continuing the series about life on the East coast, one of my dad's friends stopped by the house today. His wife had baked me an entire 9 x 13 inch PAN of ooey, gooey carrot cake because she knows that it's my favorite. You know it, fresh out of the oven with homemade cream cheese icing on top. In highschool, I somehow managed to eat this goodness without impact to the waistline. Today, not so much. But how to resist?!?!

I gave in and had a piece... then another half piece. The only savior is that the cake was pretty flat (saving on the oil in the cake), but the icing was nice and thick. I had to stuff it back in the fridge in hopes that it wouldn't come to mind again. I have to admit, it was worth every calorie (about 400).

But the weird thing is that I am satisfied and don't feel like I need any more... I may eat these words later. :) I am getting that typical guilty feeling (Wes knows this one) where you feel like you have to eat what is on your plate or what someone else went to the trouble of making for you. Truth is, the cake won't go to waste... it's always open season at this house, so many friends stop by all the time it's bound to get eaten in the next two days.

On to exercise... today's plan was to swim for 60 minutes and then do a core workout. But the gym and swim schedules aren't that great here (we really are lucky to workout at the Pro Club back home), so I am tailoring the plan. I'm pretty sore from the run yesterday and my little cousin is visiting from University. I really want to get her hooked on fitness because she has gained weights since going away to school and it has impacted her self esteem. We're going to go to the gym today after work and bike together. I am still going to do 60 minutes, but instead of swimming I am going to ride the bike at a nice recovery pace (NOT RECOVER IN DANIELLE'S CYCLING CLASS PACE). This will also allow me to catch up with her and see if I can plant any seeds on starting a healthy lifestyle. Still going to do the core workout after the bike.

Here's the food breakdown for the day... minor blimp, carrot cake. :)

Breakfast - Cereal with a peach and 1% milk (yup, 1% in this household) and coffee (355 caulk)

Lunch - Rye bread sandwich with Swiss cheese and ham, cottage cheese and tomato salad (545 cals)
Carrot Cake... let's call it my pre-gym fuel ;) (400 cals)

Total - 1300 cals

3 Comments:

  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger Regan said…

    Oh, I hear you about the carrot cake. I went overboard on the brownies I got yesterday (notice I didn't blog dinner!), so now the house is in lock down mode!

    Nice of you to work out with your friend - have a grand time!

    Hugs,

    Regan

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Blogger Wes said…

    Sneaky, sneaky! I love it. Get your cousin out there and show her how to have fun! I, quite frankly, thinkour problem with eating has much to do with why America is so fat. We were taught not to waste anything by parents who had to struggle and had very little. Not to mention the high fructose syrup in sodas. I personally don't drink soda anymore and limit my carbonated beverages to a beer every once in a while and tonic water to go with my gin :-) But I've cut back on that alot lately as well.

     
  • At 9:19 PM, Blogger Jessica said…

    You didn't blog dinner. When I don't blog dinner, like Regan said above, it's because I was naughty. Confess! Your sisters will understand!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home