Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Thursday, September 14

The Challenge

There has been a LOT of talk around these parts lately about weight loss. It seems as though summer is ending, a summer full of training but also full of indulgence. The weight on the scale is creeping up and none of us want to go into winter with additional pounds to deal with.

A bunch of us now have little side support groups going on. Tracking our meals, weighing in and fessing up to damage done. So inspired by Jessi, I have decided to make this into my own little challenge. Why? Well, it will give me a serious goal to shoot for. It's always hard to stay motivated when faced with temptation, and blogging for all to see is definitely more motivation.

I am also a firm believer in calories-in versus calories-out and creating the right calorie deficit is the only way to meet this challenge. Some background on my goal weight. A few years ago I started weight watchers and got down to 138 lbs (I'm 5'6 with a pretty solid frame). Though I was exercising a lot, I wasn't nearly as fit as I am today at 153 lbs. I would like to say that I will get down to 138 lbs again, but the reality is that I am carrying more muscle than I did 3 years ago. That being said, I am going to set a higher goal weight and rethink the goal when I get there.

Here are the starting stats:
Start weight: 153 lbs
Goal weight: 140-145 lbs
Goal loss per week: 1.5 lbs (which I know will be really tough the closer I get to goal)
Weigh in day: Friday

Some other info:
BMR: 1500 cals
Weekly calorie deficit to lose 1.5 lbs per week: 5250 cals
Avg daily calorie deficit to lose 1.5 lbs per week: 750 cals
Weeks to 145 lbs: 7 weeks
Weeks to 140 lbs: 10 weeks
Obstacles: Wedding #4 of 4 is coming up in a couple of weeks. That's another 9 days away from my super supportive circle of friends, in a drinking and eating environment. At least this is it for wedding season. And this other thing... dating. I haven't been in a relationship in over a year and we all know what tends to happen when you start dating. More eating out and less sleep... a diet-killing combination. I wish there was an solution for this, other than sheer determination.

The Plan:
The plan again is simple to understand, difficult to execute. Of course, exercise. 5-6 times a week for at least an hour a day. As usual, high protein and fiber diet to stay satisfied longer after I eat. Lots of water. 4 liters a day, which should help keep me off the diet pop and alcoholic beverages. Also keeps me away from snacking. And I guess I have to make the ultimate commitment, aim for 1500 calories a day and never stray past 1800.

Some pretty scary stuff and hefty goals to stick to. I do feel like I have a lot of support behind me so I'm going to stick with it! That being said, here is the data for today:

Pre-Workout
1/2 Pria carb select bar (85 cals)

Workout
1 hour run (600 cals)

Breakfast
2 hard boiled eggs and toast (320 cals)
Coffee (30 cals)

Lunch
Cafeteria salad (450 cals)


Total
885 cals

1 Comments:

  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger Wes said…

    Phew! Sounds like a challenge! Good luck! I'll be pulling for you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home