Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Wednesday, October 18

Solo Running Tour of Paris

I got to bed at a great time last night... 11 pm. Set my alarm for 7 am, thinking I'd get out for a nice early run. Unfortunately my clock isn't quite set yet and I woke up at 3:30. I was wide awake so I took a melatonin supplement and caught up on work email until 5 am. I didn't drag myself out of bed until almost 10 am this morning, and had absolutely no motivation to go running alone. I decided to combine two run routes and motivate myself by the scenery along the way. I got dressed and got out the door.

I get it, compared to the US, it is less common to see a woman running in Europe. When I was in Poland for my brother's wedding, I expected the stares from the locals. But Paris is a BIG city! In total, I saw 4 runners on today's run... an entire 7 mile loop along the Seine, past the Notre Dame, the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower.... 4 runners! Why can the french all eat and drink, not exercise and still look the way they do?

Anyways, I was wearing my pink running shorts and a light purple long sleeve top... I have never gotten so many stares and comments and whistles in my life! This just doesn't happen to me in Seattle... well, except when I'm running with 4 other women. :)

So the run was ok, but I am still having that high heart rate problem when I run alone. There are no hill climbs in the area, the biggest rollers are the bridges across the Seine. Somehow, my highest heart rate was 177 and I averaged 164. I can't seem to slow myself down when I run alone, I think it's because I'm self conscious... and when people look, I just try to run faster to get by them. I need to stop that. :)

Total distance was about 7.1 miles, 70 minutes including all of the lights.

Today's route!

Ok, I managed to get away with eating well for breakfast/lunch today... so I just have to keep that motivation at dinner tonight!

1/2 pria bar (85 cals)


7.1 mile run (760 cals)

Cottage cheese (182 cals)
banana (100 cals)
Yummy french steamed milk in coffee (50 cals)


1/2 pria bar (85 cals)
orange (60 cals)

2 glasses of red wine (260 cals)
Small greek salad, light on dressing, 1/2 feta given away (200 cals)
Arrabbiata Penne... skipped the creamy pasta or fish sauce! (400 cals)
Tiny butt end of a baguette... almost non-existent, and I sat beside the bread basket! (30 cals)
Espresso (0 cals)
Apple crisp... 4 bites (150 cals)

Total (1602 cals)

2 Comments:

  • At 7:11 AM, Blogger Wes said…

    Can definitely tell you are in Paris. We never hear from you this early ;-) Congrats on getting out and getting it done. You should buy one of those little disposable digital cameras and take us a few pictures on your route. I want to see the Eiffel Tower from your run!!

    Pink shorts, eh? I'm suprised you didn't have a line of horny frenchmen chasing after you in business suits.

    I think there have been all kinds of studies on why the french are so skinny and they eat the way they do. Alot of the concensus points to Red Wine, which would explain why it doesn't work for us because we drink beer and alcohol :-)

     
  • At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you go back to Paris, the Parc des Buttes Chaumont in the 19eme arrondissement is a phenomenal place to run. No traffic, beautiful scenery, lots of hills, and other runners. Also a waterfall and a high lookout with a view of Sacre-Coeur. Don't expect the camraderie that we runners have in North America (i.e. most of them won't acknowledge you at all!), but at least you aren't subjected to the catcalls and other unwanted attention you get when running on the streets.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home