Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Tuesday, November 7

When it rains, it pours...

Every morning I wake up to the dark, the cold and the rain. I bury my face in my pillow when the alarm goes off and think to myself, can I get out of getting up right now? I negotiate with myself, here’s how it usually goes:

If I go back to sleep now I can get an extra X hours of sleep.
After all, I only got X hours of sleep last night.
But if I don’t get up, I will miss my chance to work out today… or can I get in a workout after work?
Oh, but the ladies are waiting, it’s so much more fun working out with them.
Think of the feeling 20 minutes into your workout when you always say to yourself, I’m so happy I got up to workout.
Think of playing your music in the car on the way to work after exercising… singing and moving in the car, your workout done with a beautiful day ahead of you.

This is what went through my mind this morning. First, I have to admit that I skipped soccer last night, a 9:30 pm game so that I would get up to run this morning. I was going to go, but the late games are such a pain… you’ve gotten home from work, eaten dinner, watched the end of Monday night football and you just want to go to bed. But instead, you have to change into soccer clothes, go out in the cold, get home after 11 pm, shower and fight that “wide awake” feeling that you get after you exercise. And since I was introducing a new girl to our run group this morning, I knew that I couldn’t miss the 5:45 am run! So I flaked, totally skipped soccer.

But, that was an additional factor to the negotiation this morning.

I have to introduce Sarah to the group and this was the sole reason for skipping soccer last night!

So off I went. We ran about 5.5 miles today in the rain again. :) Have you heard about the insane amounts of rain we are getting? Yesterday we got more rain in 5 minutes than in the entire month of August! Yesterday we also beat our November average for rain only 6 days into the month! They are even trying to evacuate people from some areas!

I have to agree with Jess, the hardest part about running in November is not knowing what to wear. I was wearing shorts, a sleeveless shirt, a long sleeved shirt, a jacket, a running hat and gloves. Two minutes into the run, the gloves came off. 15 minutes into the run, the long sleeve shirt came off. Then it was just a lot of wetness to the finish line… but true to form, all I could think was how great the rain felt on my skin. For this I am thankful.

Data for today:

5.5 mile run (570 cals)

20/20 muffin (200 cals)
½ cup low fat cottage cheese (100 cals)
Milk in coffee (30 cals)

1.5 cups veggies (150 cals)
¼ cabbage with tomato broth (75 cals)
2/3 of a chicken breast (150 cals)


Apple (75 cals)

Bread (60 cals)
20/20 Chicken Sausage Penne Pasta (390 cals)

Total (1230 cals)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home