Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Thursday, December 21

My version of backsliding...

The magic number + holidays + time with friends and family = backsliding!

I don't know WHAT it is, but I swear I have this magic number that I can't seem to get below. Two years ago I was cracking into the high 130s and these days, I see 150 on that scale and I am stuck. The combination of finally relaxing and spending time with my friends and family, around wine and food, can be disastrous. I may be exaggerating. I do think that my idea of overeating (and healthy eating) is much different from what it was in years past. I am more controlled, I have a breaking point that comes much sooner than it used to and there are limits to the amount of alcohol, second helpings and desert I will consume. When all else fails, I just walk away...

Still, because it's so different from the way I eat when I'm on a normal schedule, I worry about the outcome. I am definitely paranoid... you know that feeling when you lose weight that at any moment it can all come back? That's how I feel now. Instead of 3 glasses of wine and a plate full of desert tonight I had one glass of wine and one small desert. But I feel like I ate the entire table for dinner. Imagine that, exercising and finally practicing eating in moderation and still worrying about gaining the dreaded holiday weight?!?!?!

Like everything in life, I over analyze everything to death. The solution when I do this is to refocus on training. So here it is... today was a great day at the gym (and by great I mean I hate Kirk). We went in early again and Kirk planned for 60 minutes on the Stepmill. I have never done the Stepmill so I thought I would give it a shot. I ran for 30 minutes and joined him for the last 24 on the Stepmills. Holy crap! Talk about a workout... my legs and butt are going to be so sore tomorrow! I had to keep it slow to keep my heartrate in check, but I was sweating like a madman... that is SO much harder than the treadmill at that heartrate. I hated it but I think I'm hooked! Why do we like the things that make us hurt? I guess we love the fruits of the labor...

Tomorrow I'm going to join an early 45 minute cycling class at one gym and then head to the other gym for some more cardio and strength training.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do the backstroke!! LOL. Maybe we are just glutens for punishment!! Glad to see you are getting some exercise in along with your fun and your wine. Be safe.

     
  • At 5:07 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Focus on the positive- you're getting workouts and your "pig outs" are a "regular person's" good days!

    Stepmill= evil.

    Enjoy the holidays- I'm sure you'll be back on track in no time- you have more willpower than the rest of us!

     
  • At 8:15 PM, Blogger In the sky, above the clouds said…

    I am glad that I am not the only one that feels that way around the holidays. But you know what is amazing? That we have changed so much since last year, at least I know I have. I would of eaten far more and been drunk a whole lot more. :) But we know what it feels like to eat for strength, to get through a workout that makes us hurt. As crazy as that is...just think how far you've come this year. Everyday is new. :)
    Merry Christmas!

     
  • At 2:51 PM, Blogger bbieberitz said…

    Don't focus too much on the numbers the scale is reporting. Go more by how you feel. It is a tough time of the year. After the holidays the discipline will return and you will be ready to go!

     
  • At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aleks, I will have to agree with you! I struggle with the same thing. It sometimes seems as if the weight is never going to disappear, no matter what we do! But, we do have to focus on the positives and look at how far we as runners have come in the past year! Enjoy the rest of 2006. 2007 is just around the corner!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home