Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Tuesday, January 16

A different version of TMI Tuesday

Since I’m recovering from the half marathon, trapped at home (YET AGAIN) due to inclement weather conditions on the West coast, I figured this was the time to talk about resolutions for this year.

I had somewhat of a quarter life crisis when I went home for Christmas. I have now been on the West coast for a year and 8 months. Just a few short months ago I would have told anyone that I was going to stay on the West coast forever, that this is where I would eventually find a husband, have kids, continue my life as a triathlete/runner and work until retirement. Then I went home for almost a month… and I started to think about (for lack of a better description), the meaning of life.

Spending a few weeks with my family always brings up feelings of how much I love being able to see them anytime I want. My parents are amazing and I want them involved in my kids’ lives. So I’m still single and kids are not even on the radar for another 5+ years, but I’m a planner. For the first time since I broke up with my boyfriend of six years (in July 2005) I am starting to feel anxious about not knowing what my life will look like next year, two years from now, five years from now. I STILL don’t feel like I’m ready to date, but I’m stressed about the big question marks lying on the road ahead. Including, is “the one” here or back home?

The original plan was to start the process of buying a home in the Seattle area in September, 2007. The plan is now a little different. The resolution, come September, will be to either continue to put a stake in the ground here and start house hunting, or to start exploring the process of moving home. Moving home will be a big deal, relocating AGAIN… but more importantly having to find a career path that presents as many opportunities as the one I am in here. It also means facing the tough questions of what I will have to give up if I move home. Being able to spend time and train with my wonderful friends is a great blessing. Having to leave them would be heartbreaking for me. Moving home I’d be closer to family and other great friends. But I would also be moving to SUPER cold winters and brutally hot and HUMID summers that make maintaining a healthy, balanced and active lifestyle almost impossible and much less enjoyable. I hope it doesn’t seem like I’m basing a huge decision on “weather conditions”, rather the quality of life that comes with it.

Net net is that I still have no idea what my life will look like down the road. I’ll take comfort in knowing that no matter where I end up I’ll be near people that I love and that bring so much happiness into my life. And at the end of the day, no matter where I am, I can put on a pair of running shoes (with more or less layers of clothing) and go.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:07 PM, Blogger Wes said…

    I have a little brother and sister in San Fransico, and an older brother and parents (both sets) in Mobile. It's tough being away from family all the time. Now that I am in Atlanta, I just don't see me ever going back to Mobile. I love Mobile. I love my family. But the path I walk leads me to places elsewhere. I have no regrets, I just have to work harder to take advantage of the opportunities to be with them and share in the joys of their grandchildren. When you have choices, and the way is not clear. Slide.

     
  • At 5:11 PM, Blogger Jodi said…

    I can say that I know EXACTLY how you feel. In April of '09 I will be moving. I have no idea where I'll go, if I'll still be single, or how I'm going to cope if I move somewhere new with my dog and no one else. I definitely see the draw of the family. It would be horrible to have children without my Mom, the world's best Grandma, around. But on the other hand, I'm not the biggest fan of Wisconsin... I hear ya on the cold winters and humid summers!

    Good luck. Whatever decision you make will work out in the end, I'm sure!

    Jodi

     
  • At 6:58 PM, Blogger teacherwoman said…

    I had a near 5 year relationship end last April. It's amazing how at one point in our life we feel as if we know where our life is headed and then all of a sudden, wham, it changes.

    I will be graduating in May with my masters and am hoping to move to the east coast. I am single and have the opportunity. Nothing is holding me back and I can always come back home if I am not "fit" for the east coast!

    Good luck with your decisions and enjoy life in the meantime! Do what you want to do and enjoy it all!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home