Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Tuesday, January 9

Back on the West Coast

I'm baaaack! Well, I was back late Sunday but have been swamped trying to get back into the swing of work. After working out all but 3 days over the 3+ weeks that I was home, I haven't worked out now for... 3 days in a row (GASP)! I know!

Sunday was a travel day and didn't get to bed until 12:30. Monday morning I slept in and I watched the BCS game at night. Today, I had no excuse. I am still a little jet lagged and the mornings just aren't happening. Then come 5 pm, I am too lazy to battle the "New Year's Resolution" crowds at the gym. Tomorrow isn't looking so good either, mainly because I'm making up excuses not to go to workout (my car really will be in the shop tomorrow and we are really expecting a big snow storm). I guess that wouldn't stop me from... running outside?

So here's the thing. The half marathon is on Sunday and I have run ONCE outside in the last month! Actually, I think I have only run outside twice in total since the marathon. I know indoor workouts are no substitution for the real thing, but I have really enjoyed the break from the pressure of training for the marathon and have needed the recovery time. That being said, I'm still
Sc%@#%. :)

What do I do? It's too late to get any real training in, and I should be tapering. I guess not working out for 3 days is quite the taper. I'm just going to zen (as
Regan would say). Life happens, I knew it would be difficult to run a half marathon 6 weeks after my first marathon (don't you need 6 weeks to recover from a marathon)? I wasn't expecting to PR in Phoenix, but can I even cover that distance? Zennnnnn... I can do anything in a pink skirt right? :)

I still haven't gotten to the New Year's Resolutions so I will definitely do that soon. First, I have been tagged by
Jodi. So here I go.

1. Find the nearest book.

2. Name the book & the author.
The China Study - Startling Implications For Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health (which happens to have been recommended to me by Jodi)

3. Turn to page 123.

4. Go to the fifth sentence on the page. Copy out the next three sentences and post to your blog.
In other words, while we don't die as much from heart disease, we still get it as often as often as we used to. It seems that we simply have gotten slightly better at postponing death from heart disease, but we have done nothing to stop the rate at which our hearts become diseased. The mechanical interventions that we use in this country are much less effective than most people realize.

5. Tag three more folks.
Wes
Kate
Michelle

6 Comments:

  • At 4:56 AM, Blogger Wes said…

    I'm sure if you take it easy you will do fine. Just don't come out of the race limpin :-)

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm in pretty much the same boat Aleks so let's plan to run together on Sunday. We can be each others moral support :-)

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    The good thing about interrupted training is it gives you a great "excuse" to chill out and enjoy the race with no pressure. I actually ran a half PR in those circumstances once!

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Blogger Lance Notstrong said…

    Those damn new years resolutioners!!!

     
  • At 9:59 AM, Blogger In the sky, above the clouds said…

    Maybe what your body is telling you is that it wants just a nice easy run. :) You'll do great!

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger Jessica said…

    I hope your car is at Zahntech. :-) And I'm sure you can run the 13. The last...oh, I don't know, seven or so probably won't feel awesome. But you can always walk-run or just take it easy and enjoy the fact that even without training, you can go out there and have fun!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home