Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Tuesday, January 2

A much needed break...

What did I do over my holidays? Going into the break I resolved to stay away from work email and I did, by staying away from the PC altogether. No personal email, no blogging, no surfing the net, and reading the newspaper... wait for it... in PRINT! That's right! For the last 2+ weeks, I have essentially been in work detox, and wow does it feel great! So what did I do to fill my time in this small town?

Well, one thing I didn't do over Christmas that I have done every Christmas for as long as I can remember is gain weight. Believe it or not, even with plenty of time to eat I managed to beat the bulge this year by working out almost every day (twice in one day on a couple of occasions) and watching what I ate. I combated the bigger holiday dinners by not drinking, watching my portions and just not going overboard on deserts. They will all be there tomorrow was the motto. This really isn't me, but maybe this is the new me? :)

Enough about that, what else didn't I do? Though I've been working out a lot, I haven't run outside once since I've been home. I kinda like doing cardio indoors (who likes cardio indoors?) and/or lifting weights. Two other things, I like people watching when working out AND Canada offers endless hockey highlights on the TVs at the gym. Mostly though, I'm scared to run outside again. Like I don't think I'll be able to do it, I won't be able to run the 6 miles that used to be our short run. Just over a month ago I ran a marathon and now I'm scared to venture out around the block.

Fortunately, I have to force myself back on the horse. I'll be running a half marathon in Phoenix in less than two weeks. If that's not motivation to get running outside I don't know what is! So I'm going to take it slow, get outside tomorrow, run at a comfortable pace and enjoy the beautiful and unusually warm weather we've had in Ontario. After reading Wes' inspirational post, I have planned a route that will take me through some of the more memorable areas of town. Hopefully this will get me out the door tomorrow morning.

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday! Tomorrow I'll be posting about the "New Year's Resolutions" and other events of the last couple of weeks. Today it was necessary to blog about the run... if you blog it, it will get done. Confession tomorrow...

5 Comments:

  • At 7:49 PM, Blogger Wes said…

    Glad to have you back, Aleks! We must be twins, cause I actually LOST weight over the holidays! Woo hoo! Have a great run!!

     
  • At 6:21 AM, Blogger Jodi said…

    Great job over the holidays! Me not so much... Added 5 pounds- Grrrrr!!!!!

    Get back on that horse. You'll kill this race!

    Jodi

     
  • At 11:10 AM, Blogger Jessica said…

    I know what you mean about being afraid to run. I feel that way myself right now. I haven't run at all since Christmas Eve, and I don't plan to until Jan. 18. I'm so afraid that on Jan. 18 I won't be able to run our six miles!

    I know that's ridiculous, but I'm more afraid of re-starting than of my Ironman.

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger Christine said…

    After the first few steps I bet you won't even notice you've been gone. Maybe take it a bit easy the first mile or so. Then I bet you'll get all blissed out and the rest will fly by. You'll be like - what? 6 already? but I want to keep going!!!
    Best,
    Christine Lukasik

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Blogger teacherwoman said…

    Great job over the holidays, Aleks! I think I added a pound or two...yuck. Nice you have you back in blogger land!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home