Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Wednesday, January 3

If you blog it, you will run...

I did it, I blogged about running last night and I did. It was a beautiful morning, super sunny! Unfortunately, it was cold (2 C/36 F) and very windy with frost still on the ground when I went out. I also didn't pick the easiest route so it was a workout! It was pretty slippery and it took some effort to grip the road and not slide around... but it made for a nice challenge.

I haven't been base training and my heart rate is constantly high. I can't help it. I workout in gyms and feel the need to run faster and work harder than everyone else in there. Plus I'm a sucker for burning more calories. But it's out of control. Today I couldn't get my heart rate below 160. In fact, on the run I averaged 168 and maxed at 184. I think the lowest I saw was 155 on a steep downhill. And I'm still feeling some significant pain in my right knee and hamstring, especially on the downhills!

Anyways, I felt like I was moving at a turtle's pace and cut the last bit off the run because I was worried about really hurting my knee. I ended up running 5.7 miles in 55 minutes which is around the 10 min/miles we usually run. Yesterday I did a 60 minute cycling class followed by 30 minutes on the treadmill. I am really hoping that workout, combined with working out for 7 days in a row now contributed to the perceived difficulty of the run today... I HOPE! The high heart rate is making me feel like I'm in worse shape than when I started almost a year ago!

So that was this morning. After work I still wanted to get into the weight room so I went to the gym with my mom. I move quickly through the exercises so that I get a good sweat on when I lift. Averaged 128 and maxed at 161... which I think is OK, some lifting can get you pretty worked up right?

So the big question... given that I want to do a half IM in the June/July time frame, is it too late to base train? I promise I'll really do it... promise. But is there enough time?

Tomorrow I'm going to go to the gym and ride the bike. It should be a day off so I'm going to go just to move my legs and let the lactic acid flush out. No matter how many people are there, I will keep my heart rate low. Yes, I can do this. Hmmm... maybe I should go for a walk instead... :)

If I could stop talking about running I would get to the resolutions... so more on that tomorrow!

7 Comments:

  • At 4:45 AM, Blogger Wes said…

    Undoubtedly your body is still recovering from the marathon, and how your breathing goes has a lot to do with your heart rate as well. The cold air provides less oxygen, forcing your heart to beat faster in order to pump more blood. You have till June/July for your half IM? Puleeese! You will be SO ready, and you know it. You are a princess after all.

     
  • At 5:23 AM, Blogger Jodi said…

    Pick a late June/early July half if possible. Base train for Jan-March. Low heart rate, build miles. Then you can build in April-May and peak for June or July. You have to get in the pool for sure. That is essential. 1.2 miles is a long way to swim. Do you have a bike and trainer? The trainer is great for base building. You can keep your HR down and spin away.

    I have all my workouts on my blog side-bar (click on the link to see everything back to October) so feel free to use them as a guide. I started training in Oct. for my half in March. Just keep in mind I'm training for Ironman so my training is probably more than you need.

    Jodi

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Blogger Jessica said…

    There is absolutely plenty of time.

    I didn't start my official half-Ironman training until February 6 for a June 23 event. However, I base-trained for the first 12 of those weeks - until May 1 - and that's when I started stepping it up.

    Pacific Crest is a month earlier than the race I did last year, which means as soon as you get back here, you should start training. I'll email you my spreadsheet right now of what I did last year and when I did it so you can see what a massive schedule is like and modify from there. (I think you can do 75% of what I did and be ready, honestly.)

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Blogger Jessica said…

    Oops, I meant July 23, not June!

     
  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger teacherwoman said…

    Nice job on your run yesterday! Sounds like you worked pretty hard! Good luck with training for the half IM! I don't know anything about those to give any advice!

     
  • At 12:20 AM, Blogger In the sky, above the clouds said…

    you are a strong woman... you can do it.
    glad to see you back. :)

     
  • At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Aleks! Can't wait for you to get back - seems like we've all been scattered across the map for months :-( I didn't run at all while I was in Florida and just like you was really worried about hitting the road agin. But I ran this morning with Kathy and Sandra and it was like I never took a break. We only did 4 miles due to the black ice all over the roads and sidewalks. Looks like all those early mornings and weekend runs have stuck with us. Sure am looking forward to a nice warm, dry, FLAT half in Phoenix.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home