Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Thursday, January 18

No Running?!?!?!

I received some tough news after my first visit with the physical therapist yesterday. I cannot under any circumstances run for longer than 20-30 minutes for the foreseeable future. No, not even if I’m say… running from a predator to save my life!

She is going to treat the injuries to my hip, hamstring and knee. She is also going to have me work on exercises to strengthen the hip muscles to prevent this from happening in the future. ETA on being back on the long distance “circuit” is Vancouver in May (Mercer Island in late March if all stars align). That being said, I won’t mess with success. My PT is a 34 year old, 2:42 PR marathoner who is trying to qualify for the Olympic Trials. SHE owns me. She has come highly recommended by a number of my friends so if she says jump, I will ask how high. I won’t sacrifice my long term goals and well being to satisfy my immediate desire to run and have fun with my friends. Do I sound like I’m trying to convince myself? Probably cause I am. I guess I’ll have to do with cycling, some cardio equipment work and strength training. Sounds ideal for base training now that I think of it… the upside of being injured if there is one!

Not that I wasn’t amazed by Michelle before, but I am now in greater awe of her ability to remain injury free as a marathon maniac! By the way, I was looking at what it takes to be one and Jess, you qualify based on your 3 marathons in 2 months gig! I hope you’ve applied for your official membership!

So I have been a little down because the injury combined with travel and impossible work schedule has kept me out of the gym. Isn’t it amazing how not being able to workout impacts your life! I used to have to force myself to get out and run, these days I feel this weird “blah-ness” when I don’t get out to do something! I’m sure you know what I mean.

Maybe I’ll do some pilates at home tonight to combat not being able to get to the gym. Anyone can spare 20 minutes for Mari Winsor on DVD right?!?!?!

4 Comments:

  • At 5:21 PM, Blogger Jodi said…

    That sucks! I'm so sorry Aleks. Sounds like you have a great PT who understands you, though. You'll be back healthy in no time!

    Jodi

     
  • At 9:32 PM, Blogger Jessica said…

    As you know, I'm going to do everything I can to keep you happy and motivated (and running comfortably for the short amounts of time that you can) until you're healed. I wouldn't have it any other way!

    By the way: remember once upon a time, when 20-30 minutes was a long run? For some people, it still is...and it's such a blessing that we can do more. This is just temporary, you'll be back to distance and stronger in no time.

     
  • At 10:23 AM, Blogger Kate said…

    Oh no!
    It will be ok- hard, but you have so much motivation. I have used breaks from running to develop some much-needed flexibility, and to work on my swim..

    The scariest thing for a lot of people is wondering whether they will get back into it, or whether they will return to their "pre-running" selves. I can safely say that you will be one of the "get back into it" ones

     
  • At 6:48 PM, Blogger teacherwoman said…

    Mari Winsor and I are "close" friends! Sorry to hear about your misfortune. You'll be back running before you even know it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home