Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Monday, September 25

Just want to feel good...

I don't get it... podiatrist, check, osteopath, check, massage therapist, check, feeling great, not check.

What is the deal?!?! I'm less than two months out from my first marathon and I just can't get in a good run. I felt pretty decent on the rainy run last week but haven't felt solid in over a month. Saturday I went out for a long run with Latosha and finished with her after 12 miles (4 miles short of the 16 I wanted to do). To be honest, I don't know I would have lasted 12 miles if it weren't for her... she had plotted the most beautiful run and she packed a seriously positive attitude and lots of great conversation! It seems that I don't get out on any runs anymore where I don't get blisters on my toes, and feel pain in my legs and back. SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?! The plan is to revisit the podiatrist and see the massage therapist again. I'm not willing to quit... so whatever it takes, I'll try it!

Friday morning I weighed in and was surprised that I lost 1.4 lbs in the first week of the challenge (not sure how that happened given the week that I had). So I was down to 151.6 lbs. I spent the weekend in Vancouver for a bachelorette weekend full of bad food and of course, too much alcohol. So today is Monday and I have a week of good habits before I try to fit into a bridesmaid dress on Saturday. Can I tell you how much I'm looking forward to the end of wedding season? Yes, wedding 4 of 4 is up this weekend... and I'm hoping to get some sort schedule back in my life. Well, except for work travel... but that just doesn't seem to go away. :)

I'm spending this week in Vancouver and away from my workout partners. Makes training a LOT less fun. But I'm blogging now, at 11:33 am to tell everyone that I'm in my running clothes and about to walk out the door for a run (so that I don't change my mind for some crazy reason)! I'll report back on the success of the run and to complete today's food log, but here's what it looks like so far.

Breakfast
Cereal with banana and skim milk (360 cals)
Milk in 2 coffees (60 cals)

Workout
I wasn't planning on hill repeats but that is what the run was like. Turns out the neighborhood here in Vancouver is a series of connected hills. I felt like I was running hill repeats on 40th by the Pro Club... but not as long of course. And what a boring run, side street after side street, I couldn't find my way to any decent road or trail. Anyways, I didn't feel strong... major pain in my feet and achilles... but to me, this means it's in the orthodics. Everything else actually felt good, so I am going to keep positive about that and book time with the podiatrist to look at the adjustments he made to my orthodics. I'm going to hope that it will make a difference and that it's a work in progress to get my body in training shape. Anyways, I planned on 60 minutes but managed to stretch it to 48 only. And why can't I get my heart rate to just be normal when I run alone? I swear running by myself adds 5-10 beats per minute and I know I'm not running faster than when I run with the girls. Like I'm extra alert or something and it elevates my heart rate.

Temperature - It was HOT today! Much warmer than my 50 F morning runs. :) Today's noon temp clocked at 75 F, with no shade in sight... a sweaty, yucky run! I have so much respect for you hot weather runners!
Time - 48 minutes
Avg Heart Rate - 163
Max Heart Rate - 182
Calories Burned - 516 cals

Lunch
3 whole grain dark rye crisp breads (120 cals)
2 with eggs (150 cals)
1 with peanut butter and jam (110 cals)
Tomato (30 cals)


Snack
Apple (80 cals)

Dinner
My aunt's homemade tomato soup with noodles :) (250 cals)
Rice (200 cals)
Ribs (400 cals)
Cabbage (50 cals)

Total
1810 cals

3 Comments:

  • At 1:00 PM, Blogger Wes said…

    Awwwww! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you have a great run. Listen to your body and don't push yourself too hard! Oh, shhhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone by I had a big mac attack today :-) OK. I did only have 200 calories for breakfast.

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger Jessica said…

    - Try shiatsu, if you haven't already
    - Try different socks. I love my Silkies, but I also love New Balance socks with this tighter part in the middle
    - Stay calm. Don't get into a freak out spiral the closer it gets to the marathon.

    You can do this - and next week, we'll be here to help!

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Hey there...

    Been reading your blog for a while but this is my first comment :). Anyway, if you need some suggestions for good runs in Vancouver let me know, it's my home town! I know the city really well and could give you a few ideas.

    Sarah

     

Post a Comment

<< Home