Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Friday, January 26

Bender

Last I posted I was fighting the effects of jetlag here in the UK. I don't usually get it, but Tuesday night it happened again. I slept from 10 pm to 1 am and that was it. I tried everything, bed, couch, floor, pacing, eating, working, reading and watching TV. Nothing, it was like a bad joke and I was getting more and more stressed about the day ahead. Finally I just got up out of bed at 6 am and went down to the gym.

We had a full day of meetings Wednesday and I was fighting to stay awake in the afternoon but we had a great day of sessions! That night we went out for a night of drinking... boy can the English drink! And when all good things collide, good friends, good atmosphere and good music, I can hold my own too. We had an amazing time, bar hopping and dancing the night away! There are few things in life I enjoy more than cutting a rug... and singing so loud that I can't talk the next day. No matter how bad the hangover is. :)

I woke up the next day and felt great! Why? Because I finally slept! Apparently that was the cure for the jetlag, drink so much you pass out! Not the healthiest solution but I needed every minute of the 7 hours I got! :) Another afternoon of meetings followed by another evening out! When in Rome, do as! My friends finally put me in a cab and I got to my brother's place at 11:30.

I love my brother and sister in law, I feel so blessed to be able to come here for work and get to spend time with them too. I wouldn't see them nearly as much if it weren't for the trips for work, so this makes the hard work so worth it! We got to sleep last night around 1 am, and I didn't get up until 12:30. I haven't slept that long in months, I obviously needed it! But I feel polluted, the drinking and crappy eating makes me feel gross. My two day bender is going to quickly turn into a detox here shortly... but I am not going to fuss about it while I'm here. For now, I'm going to enjoy every single minute of my time with my family.

Spending time overseas collaborating with the other MS subs ignites that feeling of wanting to spend a couple of years working for a smaller sub in Europe. There are some really smart folks here and when you have limited resources, you are forced to be much more creative to get things done. The work coming out of Europe is so fresh and exciting! It's a little like working in the Canadian sub, but with many more accents!

Ok, I'm off to enjoy a little bit of this wonderful city! Hope you're all having a great week, can't wait to get home and see the girls. I promise to update you princesses on the boy drama... do I have a sign on my forehead that says "PLEASE mess with my head?" First Canada, then Seattle last week and now here in the UK? Exactly why I'm not dating, who has the time to deal with this crap? When it rains it pours... I'm going to hide permanently in a hole to stay dry. :)

4 Comments:

  • At 8:29 AM, Blogger Wes said…

    Yay! Having a good time in exciting places is awesome!

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Kate said…

    Nothing like a bender before a detox!! I'd love to work in Europe, though for me it's big!

     
  • At 5:52 AM, Blogger Jodi said…

    I always thought we would get along great... now I know it! Dancing, singing, letting loose- gotta do it every once in awhile. So glad that you had fun- and got some sleep!

    Jodi

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger teacherwoman said…

    "Exactly why I'm not dating, who has time to deal with this crap?"

    I hear you, Aleks! Almost makes you want to be single forever! Enjoy your time in the UK!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home