Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Thursday, February 8

Oh yeah, I've been tagged!

What a great time for me to get tagged! I've been a little down since this injury and have been second guessing whether or not I can train for the half ironman and the STP (200 mile bike ride from Seattle to Portland) this year. Partly because training takes up a lot of time. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the women I train with! But I also miss my friends whose idea of training is going to happy hour 3 nights a week to prepare for the big night out on Saturday night.

I really want to experience the best of everything this year. Training, travel, work, friends, family and yes, even some drinking and dancing on the town. Can I do this, get over this injury, base train and then ramp up to the half IM and STP? Typical Aleks, putting on the pressure instead of enjoying the journey.

So I'm going to put it out of my head and just go with the flow, enjoy myself and the company around me. I'll keep doing what I'm doing as long as it's fun! So as a reminder, I'm going to answer the tag from
Jess.

P.S. Training has been good this week, but I've been a little low on energy. But I'm sticking to the plan, with lots of strength training. Oh, and PT kicked my butt this week! Holy they work you hard... I'm hoping this pays off in nipping this injury and getting me back to running! I had NO idea they'd have me doing a workout during my sessions! So much for an nice little massage and electrode stimulation! Now I know why they call it "the Shelly love"! ;-)

Now the tag (keep in mind I have only done one tri):

1. Describe a memory from your first triathlon ever.

Spending a FULL day at the expo, racking bikes and dinner with the Princesses. That was one of my favorite memories of all time.



2. Describe a memory from your most recent triathlon.
This!





3. What's the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you in a tri?
The girls convinced me that I was a strong swimmer and that I would be ok without a wetsuit. Danielle also managed to convince me that I should stick a little closer to the front because Danskin was full of newbies that would drown me from the back. So I positioned myself close to the front and when the gun went off, I nearly drown. I swam too fast to get out front. The water was super choppy and I took it way too much water. Had to revert to the great backstroke! :)


4. What's the most thrilling thing that's happened to you in a tri?
Beating my goal! Surprising myself on the bike, and even with major aches on the run, still beating my goal time.


5. What is something you discovered about yourself by doing triathlons?
That I can do it?!?!? :)


6. What is The Big Goal that you're working towards?
Hmmmm... TBD? Half IM and STP!

Ok, off to sleep... gotta get up in less than 7 hours to meet Jess and Regan for Danielle's spin class!

Night night!

8 Comments:

  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger Wes said…

    I remembered that picture. Four chicks with arm muscles bigger than me. How cool is that? You are a terrificly smart gal. You find balance. I just knows it :-)

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    You will be able to find balance, but remember there is plenty of time to do the big endurance events. It is *easy* to focus on the single-discipline events, but gets much trickier when you focus on all three at the same time as working extra hard at one. I also understand the work factor- it can be so unpredictable, and not only does it take time, but it weras you out completely and requires as much recovery time as a long run! I can't remember the timing of STP/your half-iron but you could consider focussing on the Oly or Sprint tris and concentrate your endurance efforts on the bike for STP.

     
  • At 2:51 PM, Blogger Jessica said…

    Hmm. I miss my tan. :-)

    I agree with Kate - do an Oly this year, a half IM next. While I believe you can do it, I know that to get you to believe it, you're going to have to train like I did last year (like, a bit overboard). So don't - take it easier on yourself and have fun with sprints, Olys, and STP!

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Come back! I miss you! :)
    sarah

     
  • At 3:34 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    are you coming back? you can still blog if the balance shifts to partying! ;-)

     
  • At 6:07 PM, Blogger In the sky, above the clouds said…

    Just wanted to say that you're being missed! Keep up running and just being healthy!

     
  • At 8:26 AM, Blogger Wes said…

    Yea, come back!!!! :-)

     
  • At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is what most of us think, but cant able to get.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home