Fitty on the West Coast

A daily account of a misplaced Canadian working, living and training on the West coast...

Friday, October 27

Taking the day off!

A couple of weeks ago I did Danielle's Friday morning cycling class the day before a long run. As usual, I fully participated rather than spinning my legs as planned. I paid for it in the long run the next day. So after soccer on Monday and Danielle's spinning on Tuesday, my hamstrings and IT bands were tight... and I am still feeling the pulling in my hamstring. So today, rather than doing Danielle's class which I know I would not do at a leisurely pace, I booked a Shiatsu appointment at the club.

Skipping cycling killed me because last night we went to happy hour with my team to celebrate my manager's paternity leave, and I didn't exactly stick to plan. Or not at all. We were at a pub, and being the human that I am, I couldn't resist sampling the shared calamari, nachos, chicken fingers, potato skins (I don't even like potato skins), wine and chocolate cake! It gets worse, I can't believe I'm fessing up to this... I drove my manager home to see his wife who has a C-section scheduled for Saturday morning. They are both good friends of mine and when she knows I'm coming over, she always has food ready! She, 2 days from delivering a baby, baked me an apple strawberry cobbler! I always tell people that their friends will understand when you turn down food... but I just couldn't do it! First, I just can't say no to someone who has gone to all that trouble for me, especially since she is about to deliver a baby! Secondly, it smelled so good, fresh out of the oven and she served it up with vanilla bean ice cream and tea. Gaaaah! New day today, got to get back on the train... how often do I say that? :( That was really painful to write down... I wish I had spinning this morning to work off the additional calories consumed last night!

Back to Shiatsu. Jess has raved for a long time about the benefits of Shiatsu, so I thought... maybe this will work! Little did I know what Shiatsu entailed... Japanese for "finger pressure", this is THE most painful form of massage I have ever had. And I have had plenty of painful massages, but this took it to a new level! It's supposed to improve your circulation promoting healing and overall better motion. I have to admit, I walked out a little straighter, and feeling a lot looser. The real test will be the next few days, and definitely the long run tomorrow! I will report back with the results of course!

So in an effort to get back on track today, here are the details:

Banana (100 cals)
Coffee in milk (30 cals)
Egg beater sandwich (195 cals)

Tomato soup (100 cals)
Tuna sandwich with fat free mayo (175)
Apple (75 cals)

Cheese string (60 cals)
Soup (100 cals)
Cheese puffs (150 cals)

Total (985 cals)

2 Comments:

  • At 12:16 PM, Blogger Wes said…

    OK. You go stuff your face and drink alcohol. Then, you go get pressed like a grape. It's a wonder you didn't explode like a greasy pimple!

    Just kiddin?!?! No really! Totally kiddin. LOL.

    Don't sweat it. Some of this is because your body needs FUEL to run SO FAR. Just keep it under control and you WILL.BE.AWESOME!

     
  • At 1:52 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Chill out :-) You're training for a marathon and your "ordinary" daily calories are low even for someone doing far less exercise than you! What you see as a massive blowout is a completely normal day for lots of people!

    You do not strike me as an "always starting over" person- on the contrary! You have stuck to plan, with quite controlled deviations since you started- it's pretty inspiring!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home